Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Happy New Year: It's 2012

Hey guys, I hope everyone had a fantastic New Year's Eve celebration and the head throbbing didn't last too much longer afterwards. Sorry I was MIA last week, but oh my what a bang 2012 has been so far. It's been busy busy.

I've been thinking since Christmas of what my New Year blog would be and couldn't for the life of me decide. There's so much to talk about. But only last night I was having a conversation with a friend of mine, not in the industry, that I've been to the theatre with quite a lot and we discussed all that we had seen.

There was a common topic we discussed. The acting level. Mostly within musicals. It's borderline terrible. I understand that with musicals, the actors have to be able to sing, but thats just it, "THE ACTORS" must be able to sing. Not the other way round. It seems as though these casting directors don't care about the acting but only the singing. The only musical I saw in 2011 that I thought was good acting wise and singing wise, was Wicked. Absolutely sensational performances from a thoroughly talented cast. But other musicals such as The 'Lion King' and most shockingly for me, 'Phantom of the Opera', the acting was so poor it was almost sickening to watch. Yes, ok, they could sing, but the poor acting performance most definitely overshadowed this.

This brings us to a much bigger issue here in London. Have those 'decision makers' lost it? Are they still stuck in the 60's and 70's? I mean the whole black and white headshot is a perfect example of the poor effort to move along with the times. We need colour head shots..simple!! Also, with casting directors. I mean they are the first point of call. If actors don't impress them by a 'photo', they have no chance of getting in to see them. And when you're asked for a reel, how can you give one if you haven't worked to get the tape in the first place..I mean, it is a vicious cycle..

All in all, the outlook is very bleak unless something drastic happens..It's up to the individual nowadays to make things happen..Let's see how far it goes!!

Feel free to add comments and share this blog with others..Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment